Becoming a wife :: Making a home

Jon and I have been married for 2 1/2 months. During these past few weeks, he and I have worked hard to make our apartment really our home. I feel like we’ve done quite well with this. And we have (mostly) enjoyed the process.

In our dining room, I felt it was too bland. I wanted to add some color and vibrancy to the atmosphere. I got an idea…and I don’t remember where it came from…but I found a pretty great idea. And it was super-fun and super-inexpensive.

Here’s what you need:

  • 2 or 3 canvases (size depends upon your space)
  • Some acrylic paint (I used 3 colors and black to help blend)
  • Paint brushes (I used foam brushes)
  • Paint palette (or plate…something to put the paint on)
Here’s what it looked like before I began:
And after:

And this is what I did: I took the brushes, covered in a color of choice, and started painting stripes across the canvas, ensuring that I painted the sides/edges as well. I would then take another color and paint more stripes, beginning to blend the colors together. After I had finished with my three base colors, I took some black (with most of it wiped off of the brush) and added some depth to some of the stripes. After completing final touch ups, I let the canvases dry for a few days and then hung on the wall above the buffet that Jon built (sorry, I don’t have a picture of this.)

If I were to do this again, I think I would stick with the 3 base colors. Adding too many could get too busy. The colors I chose for the dining room reflect the main colors of our table linens (red and blue) and adds the color of our flowers from our wedding reception’s centerpieces (purple). I chose rich shades of all of these colors, for which I think was a positive thing. It contrasts well against the muted wall colors and more subtle purples of the flowers and reds and blues of the table linens.

(By the way, that buffet was made by my wonderful husband. He did an amazing job! After quickly realizing that we did not have enough storage in the kitchen, we decided to look for a piece of furniture to fulfill those needs. We failed. So Jon came up with the ingenious idea of getting unfinished kitchen cabinetry and staining it to match the wood table that we currently have. If you want to read his post on it, you can find that here.)