Growing up, I ate Campbell’s canned tomato soup. While good for a very quick lunch, it always left much to be desired (sorry, Campbell’s).
During my on-going affair with Pinterest, I stumbled upon this gem: a surprisingly quick and easy tomato soup that even my tomato-disliking-husband approves of! (It was a shocker to me, too!) Delicious. Simple. And can be done in under half an hour. (LOVE that!)
Interested? Alright. Here’s what you’re going to need:
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2-14 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1-14 ounce can of whole tomatoes
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons of basil
What you need to do:
- In a saucepan, saute the garlic in olive oil over medium heat for one minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the crushed tomatoes.
- Add the whole tomatoes one at a time, squeezing them into the pan and breaking them apart into smaller pieces. Also, add the juice from the whole tomatoes.
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Cook the soup on medium at a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in heavy cream and basil.
- Serve with a delicious toasted bread, maybe grilled cheese.
This is one of the easiest recipes that I have ever posted here for you. And, I love that! How can you pass up such a wonderful meal that’s so simple? I just can’t get over it! (Obviously.) I recommend trying this for dinner tonight. You’re likely to have most of the ingredients sitting in your pantry and, if not, you can make a quick run to the store and make this meal anyway!