First off, Happy Memorial Day! I hope that (the majority of) you are enjoying your day off from work. And to those of you working to keep us safe and healthy today, stay safe and healthy yourself! To those of you who have served or are currently serving in the military, thank you for your service to this country and doing what I, myself, have not done and for doing what I can say I don’t think I could do. For my public safety family, stay safe today, and everyday.
Secondly: Yes, you read that right. Peanut butter cheese ball. And it is delicious. I mean, it’s very difficult to go wrong with peanut butter, let’s just be honest. (Unless, of course, you happen to be so unfortunate that you’re allergic to the stuff. If that’s the case, I’m sorry. You really don’t know what you’re missing. But please don’t try it. That has the potential to end badly for you.)
This was a great snack that satisfies that sweet tooth that I had, as well as filled me up (peanut butter does that pretty quickly). I took this to work as a snack with apples and it worked phenomenally well. My coworkers were looking over my shoulder and drooling as I snacked away. Hehe…
So, you must be wondering how to make this masterful snack or party treat, eh? (Haha…I’m sounding Canadian! My hubby must be rubbing off on me…uh oh…) Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1-8 ounce package of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter (original recipe makes note not to use all-natural)
- 3 tablespoons of packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of peanut butter morsels
- 3/4 cup of milk chocolate morsels
- Things for dipping (apple slices, graham crackers, etc)
And here’s how to mix it all together:
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, peanut butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl until blended
- Spoon mixture into a large piece of plastic wrap; bring up the four corners of the wrap and twist tightly to form a ball shape
- Freeze for about 90 minutes, or until firm enough to keep its shape
- Place peanut butter and chocolate morsels on a flat plate or baking dish; unwrap the cheese ball and place in the morsels
- Roll the cheese ball in the morsels until coated on all sides (depending on the level of “frozen-ness”, you may need to gently press some of the morsels into the ball in order to get them to stay)
- Place cheese ball back into the freezer until almost firm, about 2 hours (can also be done overnight)
And there you have your finished product! If serving with cookies/crackers, let sit out for a bit to soften up (especially if the cookies/crackers are being dipped directly into the cheese ball) or provide a cheese spreader to serve it up with.
This makes a fabulous treat to take for an outing in the spring and summer time. To me, it just has that “spring”/”summer” feel to it. With the addition of cream cheese, it makes the peanut butter lighter — something that indicates it’s truly a dish suited for warmer months.
Give this dish a shot and let me know what you think! I’m interested to hear your thoughts. 🙂
Original recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything