Drum roll please!
After a long absence from blogging, I finally make my return! Thank you for your patience with me. It has been a crazy few weeks…months…around our home but we are finally starting to get into a routine again. (Just in time for the holidays to change that…)
Last week, after making this delicious dish, my dear husband tweeted about it. Sometimes, he will share what we’ve had for dinner with the Twitter-verse and that night was no exception. However, this particular night, he mentioned he had “already” received a request for the recipe (within a couple of hours from posting it). I’ve never been told of a request from Hubby’s Twitter followers for a recipe…but I decided to comply and provide you with what has become one of Jon’s top 3 favorite dinners. Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese.
So, as we get started, let me begin by saying that the original idea for the recipe is not mine. I found it here on AllRecipes. However, I have twisted the recipe and made it my own. It is a cross between the original Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese recipe and my Baked Macaroni and Cheese. I have found that it works well, and I certainly have one elated fan at home (his brother is also a fan, both of them being lovers of spicy things). Without further ado, get yourself in the kitchen and ready to make a phenomenal meal.
What you need:
- 16 ounces of pasta, cooked (elbow, corkscrew or similar)
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into small pieces
- 10 ounces of evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces of sour cream
- 3/4 cup of hot sauce (I used Frank’s hot sauce, as did the original recipe)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (I use mild or medium but if you like sharp, go for it)
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of dried minced onions (or onion powder if you don’t want the crunch)
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder or 1 large clove of fresh garlic, minced
Sounds like a lot of ingredients, right? Meh…not so much. I promise. If you cook and bake regularly, the only ingredient you will likely not have is the hot sauce. So, here’s how you put it together:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Thoroughly mix together: eggs, sour cream, hot sauce, evaporated milk and spices (salt, pepper, onion, garlic)
- In a large bowl, combine: pasta, chicken, cheese — mix well
- Add liquid mixture to the pasta mixture, mix well
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 pan and spread evenly throughout (of spray the pan with oil to help prevent the cheese from sticking too much and prevent difficult clean up)
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20-30 minutes
The effort is small but the reward is well worth it. I, one who dislikes and has a hard time eating spice, can even stand to eat this dish…of course with a large class of water at my side. Hubby enjoys it in larger quantities with no need for anything to cool his mouth.
Regardless of your thoughts or feelings on spicy foods, if I can handle it, you should be fine if they really are not you’re thing. And if Jon thinks it’s good and has a little kick to it, you should enjoy it if you are a fan of all things spicy.
Let me know what you think. Did you change anything to make it suit you better?