With Thanksgiving fast approaching this Thursday, I thought I would share a recipe that is, at it’s core, a true fall dish and would be perfect to grace your Thanksgiving Day dinner table.
The apple pie has been there, and we have all done that, right? So why not try a new twist on an apple pie? And it’s easy…
Introducing, the Apple Cake.
It only requires 3 ingredients to make this delectable dish:
- Apples (about 8 medium sized ones), I chose to use Honey Crisp
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 stick of butter, melted
Here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease the sides of your 9×13 inch pan. (The bottom doesn’t need it from my experience.)
- Cut the apple slices thinly (mine were about 1/4 inch at the thickest point). The best way that I found to accomplish this was to use my apple slicer first to get my apple de-cored and into large slices. Then, I took the larger slices and sliced those further into 3-4 smaller slices.
- Layer the apples across the bottom of your 9×13 inch pan evenly.
- After all apples have been sliced and laid out, top with the cake mix and spread evenly across the entire pan.
- Drizzle your melted butter over the entire pan, aiming to get all of the cake mix moist. (At the least, aim not to leave large areas of un-moist mix and you should be fine. If you need additional moisture, use a little bit of water…meaning working with a teaspoon at a time. And, don’t add more butter. Trust me.)
- Place your cake into your preheated oven and bake for 35-45 minutes.
Cutting up the apples requires the most time and effort, although it becomes so repetitive that I was on auto-pilot by the end. It was a simple dish to make and it turned out well.
And, of course, it was best eaten with vanilla ice cream on top. 🙂
Whatcha think? Will it make an appearance for your holiday meal?