Introducing Micah!

micahAs I described it to one of my softball teammates whose wife is expecting their first kid in December, October 13, 2013, was one of the most terrifying and exciting days of my life. The reason for that is because that was the day our son joined the world. After nine long months of eagerly awaiting his appearance, here he was!

Micah Jonathan Doble was born at 7:58 pm, was 8 lbs, 9 oz, and was 21.5 inches long. Suzanne was incredible during labor as she battled it out hardcore. She was awesome.

It was terrifying because he just suddenly decided to stop moving. On Friday she went in for her regular appointment and they checked him out, and while his heart rate checked out, they decided to bring her back that afternoon for an ultrasound to check him out to make sure everything looked good in there too. I took off from work to attend, but everything checked out on Friday and he began moving, or as we called it “showing off.”

On Saturday though he went quiet again and we decided to call in on Sunday to see what the doctor wanted us to do. They decided to have us come in and after checking him out again, the doctor decided that because his movement was the primary way to check out to make sure if he’s okay when we’re not in the office that we should go ahead and induce. (Which sort of threw off our plans, we figured they’d just bump us to Monday and we’d planned to go get a “last meal” at Chili’s before.

So we got checked in around 2 and they hooked up on the drip to get the show on the road. And by 8 o’clock we had a baby boy. Through it all Suzanne was amazing. She didn’t even say any mean things to me. Just the occasional roll of the eyes as I told her to breathe through her contractions with the look of, “Why don’t you experience one of these so you can try to breathe through it.” Nothing crazy like, “WHY DID YOU PUT THIS THING INSIDE ME?!? I’M GOING TO KILL YOU.” Though I was sort of expecting something to that effect.

My parents brought us some food that night as they came to see their grandson. That seemed to be the price to come see us in the hospital, bring us food. Specifically, sub sandwiches. My parents brought Jimmy Johns and her Dad brought Jersey Mike’s for lunch the next day.

I’ve gone crazy with pictures, as I warned that I would in my Instagram bio (“I have two dogs, though you may have noticed. Just wait until I have a kid!”). I did, however, managed to not Instagram a picture of his first dirty diaper (a meconium explosion!). At least he waited until after he was born to poop that out, unlike his father.

His hobbies right now include eating, sleeping, and pooping. Though he is spending more and more time awake these days. Today he was hanging out with me on the bed while Suzanne took a shower and he was wide-eyed and looking around. We’re learning his cues, like when he’s hungry or has gas or has a dirty diaper.

As I’m writing this Wednesday night he’s just over 72 hours old now and is still the cutest baby I’ve ever seen and I feel like I’m saying that without any bias.

“He has told you, O man, what is good; 
And what does the Lord require of you 
But to do justice, to love kindness, 
And to walk humbly with your God?” 
– Micah 6:8 (NASB)